Custom Banner Care: How To Prevent And Remove Wrinkles In Printed Signs
Custom banners are long-lasting and reusable in all kinds of different ways, from traditional applications at trade shows and in storefront displays, to more unconventional uses, like table runners, construction cover-ups, and photo backdrops. This makes them one of the most cost-effective advertising tools on the market.
But it only takes a few wrinkles to throw a wrench into your promotional plans. Wrinkles make your banner look messy and unkempt, like an employee uniform pulled out of the bottom of a laundry hamper, and serious wrinkles can reduce legibility, muddying up your message with unsightly creases. And if you ordered a chroma green banner to be used as a green screen in video production, wrinkles cast tiny shadows that make clean keying practically impossible.
Fortunately, it’s easy to prevent and remove wrinkles in custom banners, as long as you know what you’re doing. And that’s what today’s post is all about.
Read on to learn some best practices for custom banner care, or call (314)-726-5500 to speak directly with a custom banner specialist in St. Louis, MO.
Custom Banner Care: How To Prevent And Remove Wrinkles
- Shop local. There are plenty of good reasons to order custom banners online, but shipping is a major cause of wrinkling, as the manufacturer will need to fold up your banner for shipping. By choosing our local banner shop, you can circumvent this issue altogether.
- Invest in wrinkle-resistant material and custom banner products. Custom banners are available in all different types of materials, including mesh, fabric, and vinyl, to name a few. Of these three, fabric banners are the most susceptible to wrinkles, whereas vinyl and mesh are a bit more resistant.Likewise, some custom banner styles are more wrinkle-resistant than others. For example, retractable banners do a great job of staying smooth, since they roll up tightly on their own between uses. To explore your options, get in touch with our custom banner team.
- Lay custom banners flat and let the sun do the work. If you lay your banner out flat on a warm day, the sun’s natural heat can soften the vinyl and help smooth out any wrinkles. This process can take a few hours or even up to a day.
- Use gravity and tension to smooth wrinkles away. If your custom banner comes with grommets, hang it against a wall and let gravity do its thing. You can also add a very small amount of weight (e.g. partially filled water bottles) to the bottom end, but be careful not overdo it, as you could risk stretching your banner out of shape. If possible, try to combine this tip with the previous one by hanging your banner somewhere sunny or warm.
- Use other heat sources to help smooth your custom banner. In the absence of natural heat, you can use a hairdryer, handheld steamer, or heat gun to get similar results. Of course, you will need to use caution, as excess heat can permanently damage your custom banner. As a general rule, avoid direct contact with the vinyl material, only heat the non-printed side, always use the lowest heat setting, and test your artificial heat source on a small, inconspicuous area before you commit.
- Practice proper storage. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that certainly holds true when it comes to dealing with wrinkles in your custom banners. To keep your custom banners smooth, roll them up tightly—don’t fold—and store them in a cool, dark area. It’s also a good idea to hang banners occasionally, even when not in use, so gravity can ward wrinkles away.
Schedule A Custom Banner Consultation In St. Louis, MO
Looking to order a custom banner, but not sure where to start?
Want to learn more about custom banner care or wrinkle-resistant options?
Prefer to leave your custom banner to the experts?
Whatever you need, the Horizon Sign Company team is here to help. To schedule a free consultation with our custom banner experts, you can:Back